Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A scary episode

I had a major scare the other night and ended up calling the police. I was sitting alone in a quiet house and heard a bump. Didn't think anything of it. Head another couple of bumps, went to my bedroom window to see if someone was over next door this weekend but they weren't there. A few minutes later I heard a distinct door rattling, as in something shaking the daylights out of a closed door. I went towards the noise and it sounded like someTHING or someONE was trying to get either IN or OUT of our basement door. There is only one way out or in and that is by that door. It was open earlier in the day so I closed it. I had been bouncing around the House up and down stairs all day so if there was anything or anyone down there they should have heard me. I just panicked when I felt the vibration of the shaking door, grabbed my purse, cell phone and ran to the car, got in and started driving. I don't know where I was going but I couldn't stop shaking. I ended up sitting in the beach parking lot (1/4 mile down the road) and called my DS. They found the number for the State police which is right down the road, 2 miles away. I didn't feel it was urgent enough to call 911. The state police took my statement and apparently transferred the call to the local police. The police chief called me and listened to me whine again and said he would be right out. I sat in my car with it running in front of my house. 25 MINUTES LATER he finally shows up! I told him I felt like a fool but I was all alone and someTHING or someONE was definitely shaking the door. He got his flashlight and his hand on his gun and looked around the side of the house but didn't find anything. No trace of anything trying to dig at the wooden door, no signs (that we could tell) of anything trying to dig out of the door. He did find where something had tried to dig it's way out at some point in time. Since he couldnl't find anything he left after about 30 minutes. I kept apologizing for making him come out but he said it was really ok. I guess that is what we pay taxes for. I have never felt that terrified before, I couldn't stop shaking, I locked all the doors & windows, turned all the outside lights on. I guess it was nothing because there haven't been any noises since. That was Saturday night. The call will probably be in the local police report in the paper this week. Thank goodness only 2 more days till DH gets home!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodness that would've freaked me out too! But next time call 911 ok? He could've been there sooner but I'm just glad that you're ok. That's all that matters in the end. 2 more days and counting. Come on DH! Come home sooner! LOL

Karan said...

Way better to be safe than sorry (((((hugs))))). Personally I keep a rather hefty baseball bat handy when I'm in on my own. ;0)

Kristin said...

Wow...that would have scared me too! Glad you are ok.

Margaret said...

Oh I would have freaked! I'm so glad you're ok.

Tammy said...

I can understand the reason for your fear. It would have freaked me out too.

Big hugs, hon.