Monday, December 7, 2009

25 years?

Yeah, 25 years, who would have thought. We only came for 2 years.....................
On December 6 1984, in a blinding snow storm that closed major airports on the East coast for several hours and with a 3 year old and a 6 year old in tow, I boarded a PanAm 747 jet at JFK. 12 1/2 hours and 8 time zones later, at 1624 hours on December 7 1984, we landed in a whole different world, a land that time forgot. The children grew up in this strange land, made friends they will never forget, visited foreign countries they will never get to again, experienced life that is difficult to explain to others, moved back to their birth country and are now grown adults with families of their own. 25 years later, my husband and I however are still here in the land that time forgot. WHY you may ask? The only answer I can give right now is that it's a job that pays better than a job in the USA, IF we could find a job in the USA right now. It pays the mortgage, car payment and drug prescriptions. It's warm in the winters compared to the snow and frigid temps at home in New Hampshire, it is better than trying to run 2 full households-one for me back home and one for DH here.
Do I like it here? NO, HELL NO, but like I wrote above, it's cheaper than trying to run 2 households and only getting to see my husband for 3-4 weeks a year. I have the internet, SparkPeople and my cross stitch to keep me busy.
We can't openly celebrate any non muslim holiday, I can't drive, women do not work in public, there is NO alcohol, NO pork, I have to wear a black coat like drape thing out in public but I do NOT COVER MY HEAD OR FACE. Before going on forever ranting I'll end that part here.

YAY, happy anniversary to me----NOT!

It's still overcast, VERY humid and cool here, if I didn't know any better, I'd say it was going to rain.

I finished a SanMan ornament last week, YAY me! I enjoyed stitching it too for a change. I started on a Wednesday and finished it on Friday
!
Thanksgiving came and went. We had Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes which I didn't eat, gravy (fat free home made), green beans with red peppers, expensive, imported sweet potatoes, home made from scratch cranberry sauce with REAL Ocean Spray cranberries, fruit salad, pumpkin pie, bread pudding, apple cobbler, spring rolls from my friend Maria. There were my husband's 2 co-workers, our friend and her 2 adult kids. It was good and we'll do it all over again for Christmas.

My Dad had a PET scan last week because his dr found a spot on his lung, they thought it was lung cancer but it isn't and he is clean!!! We are so happy about that.

My son is having a horrible, depressing time right now with his son and his ex-girlfriend. Even though he has his son most of the time, she is miserable to him and causing him great depression. He is having problems coping right now.

I'm still losing and gaining the same 4 pounds, nothing changes. 70 minutes of exercise a day, eating healthy and nothing.

3 comments:

Mary said...

The imporant part is that you are eating right and exercising daily. But I am understand the frustration.

It is amazing you have been travelling back and forth each year for 25 years.

Chris said...

Just remember, it's not the same four pounds....it's a new experience each time.
{{{HUGS}}} to your son - and to you for being so far away in his time of need.

Kristin said...

That gaining and losing must be maddening. Try to focus on the fact that you are eating better and exercising.

Sorry its a yucky anniversary.

Glad your dad is healthy.